About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Regional Water and Sanitation Business Coordinator. The Regional Water and Sanitation Business Coordinator (RWSBC) will coordinate, support and drive the implementation of Water For People’s market based approaches in sanitation and water, an initiative which seeks to facilitate private sector development and increase access to sustainable rural sanitation, hygiene and safe drinking water through local market channels in rural and low income urban areas in Africa. This position is to be based in Malawi, Rwanda, or Uganda.
The Coordinator will work closely with the Regional Director, Country Directors, Regional Program Officer, country-based water and sanitation business development teams and the Program Quality Management team to support them to envision, research, strategize, plan and execute sanitation and water business development initiatives. The Coordinator will provide all relevant training and mentorship to the relevant in-country teams and will work closely with relevant private sector, governmental, non-governmental and donor partners.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Provide technical leadership on sanitation and water business strategies, businses modeling, and operational planning to staff and partners.
- Support relevant colleagues to conduct market assessments and analysis for water supply and sanitation businesses.
- Lead sanitation and water business modelling and presentation of simplified analysis of the effects of the multiple variables that impact on the business models.
- Support relevant colleagues and partners to develop business growth strategies, operational plans, marketing and promotion strategies and plans, and working capital analysis for identified businesses.
- Prepare or contribute to the preparation of proposals supported by appropriate business plans for submission to donors.
- Explain our approach and business models to donors, including those with a special interest in water and sanitation business development.
- Evaluate value chains for water supply and sanitation services and products and recommend actions that need to be taken to address identified bottlenecks.
- Promote entrepreneurial development by providing business mentoring to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) identified to market water supply and sanitation products and services.
- Review opportunities for financing SMEs and developing market linkages and make relevant and appropriate recommendations.
- Prepare high quality reports for use internally, by partners and for submission to donors.
- Prepare high quality papers on lessons learnt (from successful and unsuccessful initiatives) for internal use and external dissemination.
- Participate and contribute to Water For People and our partners’ participation in national and international events, where applicable.
- Undertake any other duties and responsibilities reasonably requested by line manager.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, & SKILLS:
- Postgraduate (Masters’ level) qualification in business development/management, social marketing, entrepreneurship development or other related disciplines.
- At least five years of directly relevant experience in social and commercial marketing approaches, ideally with work in health and water and sanitation fields.
- Extensive experience in small and medium enterprise development.
- Experience in business modelling and financial forecasting.
- Excellent representational experience and skills.
- Advanced proficiency in financial modelling software (e.g. Excel).
- Excellent report writing, documentation and presentation skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, networking and negotiation skills, including in a cross-cultural context as a team player.
BEHAVIORS & COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to lead and persuade without necessarily having line management powers.
- Highly organized and persistent until tasks are fully completed either directly or through other relevant colleagues.
- Motivation and ability to work efficiently and effectively with limited supervision.
- Strong affiliation and appreciation to Water For People’s vision, mission and values.
- A critical thinker with demonstrated problem-solving skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly (approximately 30% of the time) within the program countries and to other countries, as necessary.
*Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5PM MDT, Friday, April 27th, 2018
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please send us your resume and cover letter that introduces you to us and provides insights into both your experiences and how you are the ideal candidate for this position. Resumes and cover letters can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
This is a full time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This position is to be based in Malawi, Rwanda, or Uganda.