About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Director of Strategic Advisory Services. The Director of Strategic Advisory Services is responsible for leading the Advisory Services program at Water for People. The Director will have primary responsibility for implementing and adjusting, as necessary, the strategic plan for the Advisory Services program, including:
- Steering Advisory Services work to ensure that work pursued and executed reflects Water For People’s Mission and Goals for the Advisory Services Program
- Leading business development efforts for the Advisory Services program
- Managing resource mobilization for Advisory Services work and identifying resource gaps and optimal approach to fill those gaps for program sustainability and quality
- Managing the program portfolio including tracking financial, business development, and programmatic results relative to established metrics
- Providing direct inputs (consultancy) on selected projects/programs which will be determined on a project-by-project basis
Advisory Services is a start-up business unit and the Advisory Services lead will be involved in further developing the detailed Advisory Services Operations Plan, working closely with the Water For People Senior Leadership Team. The Director will have to be involved in project work as a Project Manager, Technical Director, or Program Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Developing and managing client relationships, e.g., with bilateral and multilateral development banks, government aid agencies, and foundations
- Develop team relationships and strategic partnerships
- Vetting opportunities to make sure they are aligned with the Water For People mission and goals for the Advisory Services Program, meet strategic goals, and/or provide an adequate percent win probability to warrant resource investment for the pursuit
- Leading the go/no go decision process for Advisory Services opportunities
- Leading development of complex proposals that may include a team of multiple organization/partnerships, 3rd party consultants, and support from other Water For People staff
- Working closely with the Water For People Chief People Officer, hire resources for Advisory Services, consistent with the overall strategy and operations plan
- Developing close working relationships with 3rd party consultants, including implementing contracts with the consultants
- Managing people, processes, and tools to accomplish the goals for the Advisory Services program
- Setting individual contributor, team goals, and conduct performance reviews for direct reports
- Ensuring team is following appropriate business processes, procedures, and policies
- Maintaining oversight of project reporting requirements and overseeing management of appropriate systems for monitoring and managing project quality, cost, and schedule
- Working with colleagues across Water For People’s offices and functions to align opportunities, resources, and projects with country program strategies and expertise
- Leading the preparation and submission of regular plans and reports for Advisory Services; including monthly budget and financial reporting
BEHAVIORS & COMPETENCIES:
- Builds Teams and Talent - Open, approachable, and able to extract excellent performance and develop leadership and confidence in others. Attracts, engages, develops, and rewards talented people to build individual and organizational capability needed to achieve desired impact
- Uses Critical Thinking - Has a broad perspective and sees possibilities and opportunities by thinking innovatively. Manages competing priorities and makes hard decisions with an eye towards getting things done
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development. Understands and demonstrates how own efforts impact the larger organization and operates in alignment with the vision, values, and strategic objectives of the organization
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization. Consistently follows through on commitments and lives our values of accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership, and transparency
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Shows empathy, a high comfort level in low- and middle-income countries, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Connects with Others – Demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, exceptional networker, key influencer, and comfortable representing Water For People across a wide variety of audiences
- Action-oriented – Takes an entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to completing tasks. Has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products
- Manages through Ambiguity - Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity
- Self-confident - Demonstrates humility, mature confidence, and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role. Is unafraid and willing to take risks and courageously find new ways to achieve the organization’s desired impact
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, & SKILLS:
- Advance degree (Master’s in Engineering or Science, Social Science, or Business degree) or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 10 years of professional work experience
- 5-10 years in a business development role
- 5-10 years managing or directing a team
- A minumum of 5 years’ experience leading or conducting work in a low- or middle-income country, preferably related to water and sanitation, but could include other development areas such as microfinancing or capacity building
- Knowledge and experience of approaches to systems strengthening for WASH services in low- and middle-income countries
- Experience working in a consulting environment
- Experience with nonprofit management, either directly or through a volunteer or Board role
- Must also have a proven track record of business development and growth, and capability of implementing work as a Program Manager, Technical Director, or Project Manager
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to travel 35% of the time domestically and internationally to low- and middle-income countries
- Open office environment
- This position is based at Water For People Headquarters in Denver, Colorado
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with your resume and cover letter to this position. Please no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5pm MT, Friday, March 29th, 2019.
This is an exempt, full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Perks of working at our office space:
- Employer-paid parking
- Walking distrance from I-25 & Broadway RTD station
- Food trucks outside the office daily
- Dog-friendly workplace
SCAM NOTICE: We do not conduct interviews via chat rooms and we will not ask for your bank information.