About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Director of Technology. The Director of Technology develops and leads the digital strategy for Water For People. Water For People strives to be a technology-led organization. This means building a strong foundation while also bringing innovation to the business model and shaping the future. This position is responsible for bringing the right technologies, managing and delivering the projects, products, and business solutions that bring organizational change, and enhancing business processes across all departments.
The Director of Technology develops, enables, and supports all technology at Water For People. This position also leads a team that provides global helpdesk and desktop support. IT support includes continuously improving the network infrastructure, integration and enhancement of the software portfolio, and technology application implementation. The technologies used by Water For People are focused on both efficiently running the organization internally and enhancing the delivery of Water For People’s programs externally. In the external functionality, the Director of Technology works closely with the Global Programs team as a delivery partner.
The Director of Technology leads both daily operations of existing services and design of new services to meet the organization’s objectives. The Director of Technology mitigates the risk of technology failures to negative impacts, builds and maintains functional systems/equipment for optimal performance, and ensures all proprietary business information and data are safe and secure.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Excellent project management and change management skills and experience
- Proactively gain knowledge of Water For People’s current and future technology needs by meeting with employees across the organization
- Develop an enterprise-wide digital strategy to ensure that Water For People is a technology-led organization and lead the process of how to achieve it
- Provide technology-based insight to support departmental goals and organizational priorities
- Plan, manage, and deliver technology projects
- Build and maintain a catalog of all technologies in use today (hardware and software); prioritize present and future needs, discover efficiencies, and identify gaps
- Create a technology-led future by innovating and looking for ways to use technology to drive greater culture and organizational impact
- Understand the needs of internal stakeholders by maintaining regular communication as an active business partner to generate new ideas and solutions. Facilitates IT knowledge exchange for organizational implementations
- Serve as a resource for country programs to increase their effectiveness in planning and implementation of technology solutions
- Oversee delivery of special projects such as SharePoint system designs (e.g., grant management workflow, knowledge management, and intranet), performance management dashboards for data visualization, etc.
- Ensure business continuity in all Water For People offices, minimizing network downtime to the lowest extent possible
- Oversee the Global Helpdesk (either in-house employees or outsourced) to ensure effective and efficient response to global IT user requests for support with a customer-service approach
- In collaboration with the Global Helpdesk, analyze, install, monitor, and maintain the performance and security of Water For People’s networks and hardware
- Maintain knowledge of best practices and industry standards for hardware and software, including, but not limited to, servers, support networks, and all necessary equipment
- Oversee the operation and monitoring of a wide variety of computer systems, including routers, switches, wireless controllers, servers, cloud-based systems/networks, different computers for different user needs, and telecommunication equipment
- Ensure that systems meet industry standards; schedule upgrades and security backups of hardware and software systems
- Manage daily system backups and ensure that back-up system meets industry standards
- Integrate multiple information technology solutions/platforms using programming and database management tools and techniques to leverage off-the-shelf, third-party solutions
- Ensure that proper cybersecurity measures are in place, including insurance and a cyber threat mitigation and response plan
- Budget properly and control IT spend across the organization
- Develop IT Standard Operating Procedures and policies in accordance with the CANPO IT Principles and Practices and update annually
- Work with data sources, repositories, data flow, and system interaction to implement Internet web servers, mail servers, VM ware, Active Directory, and File servers
- Manage database administration, relatable objects of database security, availability, recoverability, performance, and software installation
- Evaluate what hardware and software can be donated to minimize cost, but not inhibit productivity; dispose of used assets per Water For People policy
- Hire third-party audit of system security bi-annually in conjunction with internal auditor
- Create training documents for Water For People software and develop communication and roll-out plan before new software is deployed
- Deliver training globally, virtually, and in-person in Denver
- Lead, supervise, and mentor team members
- Support goal setting and conduct performance reviews for direct reports aligned with organizational timelines
- Address performance issues in a timely and respectful manner
- Review and approve timesheets, time off requests, and expense reimbursement prepared by each employee
- Follow organizational policies/procedures and ensure compliance
Behaviors and Competencies
- Builds Team and Talent - Open and approachable, and able to extract excellent performance and develop leadership and confidence in others. Attracts, engages, develops, and rewards talented people to build individual and organizational capability needed to achieve desired impact.
- Uses Critical Thinking - Has a broad perspective and sees possibilities and opportunities by thinking innovatively. Manages competing priorities and makes hard decisions with an eye towards getting things done.
- Converts Strategy into Results - Translates business vision and strategy into winning tactics and plans to deliver excellent results for the organization.
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development. Understands and demonstrates how own efforts impact on the larger organization and operates in alignment with the vision, values, and strategic objectives of the organization.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization. Consistently follows through on commitments and lives our values of accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership, and transparency.
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Shows empathy, a high comfort level in the developing world, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Action-oriented – Takes an entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to completing tasks. Has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products.
- Connects with Others – Demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, exceptional networker, key influencer, and is comfortable representing Water For People across a wide variety of audiences.
- Manages through Ambiguity - Identifies, supports, and champions opportunities for change and continuous improvement. Trusts the judgment of the field staff.
- Self-confident - Demonstrates humility, mature confidence, and courage to innovate, risk, and leads in own role. Is unafraid, willing to take risks, and courageously finds new ways to achieve the organization’s desired impact.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Bachelors’ degree in Information Sciences or equivalent work experience required
- 8 to 10 years of related IT and technology experience
- Understanding of, and experience in, server design and implementation and IT network planning
- Excellent verbal/written communications and presentation skills
- Spanish preferred
- Extensive project management experience required
- Ability to work extra hours when there are urgent needs to maintain business continuity
- Experience with LANs, WANs, routers, switches, firewalls, AV, VPN, VM, servers, and various operating systems
- Cable dropping ability is a plus
- SharePoint design is a plus
- Experience with various software and hardware platforms
- Platforms we use include: Raiser’s Edge (server-side), SPSS (server-side), VPN, web server, Microsoft Office 365, Adobe, AutoDesk suite, ArcGIS, PC imaging, MAC support, Team Viewer, Tableau, Power BI, VPN, Windows (10, 8, 7, XP, Vista), Windows server (2003, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2016), SQL server software, VM ware, SAN, ISCSI, hosted Exchange server, Office 365, Cisco switches, ASA and wireless controller, Cisco Unified communications and VOIP phones, Box.net, Veeam, and Symantec Backup Exec (server-side), NetSuite, ADP payroll, Contentful, Wordpress, and EveryAction CRM.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Ability to travel < 5% of the time to country program offices, where travel is rugged
- There may be more travel initially to understand the global operations
- Ability to perform physical duties appropriate to the performance of job and responsibilities, which include the following:
- Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and maneuver stairs for extended periods of time
- Lift and carry objects weighing upto 50 lbs
- Ability to work in an open office environment with occational dogs
- This position is based at Water For People Headquarters in Denver, Colorado
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Position will remain open until filled.
This is an exempt, full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience. Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Please send us your resume and a cover letter that introduces you to us and provides insights into both your experiences and how you are the ideal candidate for this position.
Resumes and cover letters can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job title in the subject line. Please note for this application to use this address, not email@example.com.