JOIN Water For People
Business Development Manager
Position Closes: 5 pm MDT Friday, November 4, 2019
Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees around the world help drive this solution.
About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Business Development Manager. Water For People has set out ambitious plans that require increased financial support for our Everyone Forever strategy of extending sustainable water and sanitation services to everyone, without exception, in every district where we work. The Business Development Manager cultivates relationships with corporate, foundation, and individual donors to maintain and generate donations from a portfolio totaling $1 million annually.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Manages and develops a portfolio of donors who give $25K or more per year with the objective of increasing contributions each year and growing the total net worth of the portfolio to more than $1 million annually
- Customizes business development strategies to maximize the giving potential of a defined portfolio of corporate and foundation donors to achieve or surpass Water For People’s annual revenue goal through communication with donors (emails, and phone calls) and direct asks for financial support
- Works closely with Global Programs, Marketing, and Finance teams to develop strong fundraising cases to secure funding for the organization’s immediate and long-term funding priorities
- Builds long-term trusting relationships through personalized acknowledgments to donors after renewing their commitments to Water For People
- Works with C-level Water For People staff to steward donors
- Develops a strategic approach to connect each account’s special needs with Water For People’s strategy and assets in order to maximize the partnership potential of each account
- Leverages activity of Business Development to deliver engagement opportunities for these donors to enhance their financial and non-financial support
- Supports other Business Development managers with strategic direction for fundraising approaches to their contacts
- Works with Grant Writers to develop and draft formal funding proposals and reports as required by top accounts
- Proactively identifies and researches new prospects and follows-up as appropriate
- Tracks and records all donor details, meetings, interactions, and prospect research consistently, using the constituent database Raiser’s Edge and regularly monitors account progress through the donor pipeline
- Supports the Business Development Specialist in strategizing segmentation strategy and utilizing a formalized communication plan
- Attends conferences, trade shows, and events where Water For People is present
- Presents at speaking engagements as opportunities arise
Behaviors and Competencies
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Shows empathy, a high comfort level in low- and middle-income countries, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Action-oriented – Takes an entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to completing tasks. Has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products
- Connects with Others – Demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills
- Self-confident – Handles tough questions or critique in a professional manner assuming the best intentions; open to feedback and coaching
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline or equivalent work experience is required
- At least 3 years’ successful experience in major gifts fund-raising, corporate engagement, and/or foundation relations, including prospect research, relationship building, and face-to-face gift solicitations with high-capacity individual, corporate, foundation, or institutional donors
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge database preferred
- Have well-developed written, oral, interpersonal, and communication skills, with a high level of sensitivity for professionalism, propriety, and confidentiality
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Ability to travel 20% of the time domestically and internationally to low- and middle-income countries, where travel is rugged
- Open office environment
- This position is based at Water For People Headquarters in Denver, Colorado
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Contact and Further Information:
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with your resume and cover letter to this position. Please no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MDT, November 4, 2019.
This is an exempt, full time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Perks of working at our office space which is located at I-25 and Broadway:
- Employer-paid parking
- Walking distance from I-25 and Broadway RTD station
- Food trucks outside the office daily
- Dog friendly workplace