JOIN Water For People
Senior Manager of Program Grants
Position Closes: 5 pm MST, Friday, November 8, 2019
Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees around the world help drive this solution.
About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Senior Manager of Program Grants. The Senior Manager of Program Grants will oversee Water For People’s approach to the vital function of grant management by providing leadership and direction to the enhancement and implementation of the organization’s grants management functions.
The Senior Manager of Program Grants will develop Water For People’s capacity to cultivate and retain high level donor relationships by managing a portfolio representing some of the organization’s top tier donors and supporting the organization’s annual global fundraising goals. Serving as an integral role within Business Development, this position will additionally contribute to the team’s achievement of annual revenue goals through close collaboration with other team members - build on our successes and identifying new strategies that will allow us to make even more of an impact and achieve our organizational strategic objectives. This includes regular participation in team strategic sessions, annual planning and budgeting processes, cross-functional knowledge sharing, and the cultivation of strong cooperative ties across teams.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Drives Water For People’s global, organization-wide grant management processes and system which supports greater internal efficiency and ensures that the organization is accountable to the timely delivery of donor deliverables, meets donor expectations, and is compliant with all legal donor agreements and donor policies.
- Develops and mobilizes resources and trainings, working across departments, to ensure that adequate support is provided to country, regional, and Denver offices, so that each holds sufficient capacity to effectively adhere to our grants management processes and utilizes the grant management system.
- Orchestrates collaboration across teams and departments in the Denver office (Business Development, Finance, IT, Risk, Marketing, and Global Programs) to ensure that each respective department/team is appropriately engaged, from concept to budgeting, proposal development to reporting, and driving adherence to Water For People's grant management process
- Leads Grants Manager and Finance Grants Manager in providing strategic advice and counsel to business development relationship managers on their accounts to ensure all partnerships serve the best interest of Water For People and that Water For People is positioned to deliver on programmatic outcomes and financial requirements while meeting the needs of each unique funder
- Nurtures the collaboration between all related departments and functions required to enrich donor relationships, maximize opportunities, and maintain close partnerships with top tier donors
- Directly manages a select portfolio of donors, addressing needs proactively, and making decisions that serve both donors and Water For People’s interests
- Supports country finance and program staff to build their capacity in grant management, from proposal development to narrative, and financial reporting and compliance
Fundraising and Donor Liaison
- Develops and maintains relationships with specific organizational funders (as assigned), serving as the Relationship Manager to proactively meet funder needs and manage requests
- Specific to this portfolio:
- Orchestrates the production of proposals, including budgets, deliverables, and timelines, in collaboration with Finance and Program staff in country, regional, and Denver offices
- Orchestrates the production of donor reports by coordinating with Program and Finance staff in country, regional, and Denver offices, to produce narrative and financial reports on time and aligned with reporting requirements; reviews and finalizes reports for consistency with donor needs prior to submission to the donor
- In cooperation with the Finance Grants Manager, monitors the financial stewardship of grants, including the reconciliation of report narratives with accompanying financial reports
- Along with the Finance Grants Manager, Regional Finance Managers, and Controller, monitors spending rates, and assesses the accuracy of reporting, forecasting, and tagging on a monthly/quarterly basis
- Coordinates donor visits to country and Denver offices
- Collaborates with IT in system roll-out, maintenance, and utilization, facilitating the development and administration of trainings and ensures a system of proactive/responsive user support is in place to ensure necessary resources are available to global systems users
- Liaises with managers globally to enable full and effective utilization of grant management processes and system: disseminate metrics on teams’ adherence to system and process, drive continual system/process improvements, and elicit information on teams’ needs for support
- Communicates global performance and adherence information and metrics to the Senior Leadership Team regularly to mobilize resources and leadership to drive optimal global adoption of systems and processes
- Establishes master schedule and accountabilities to track deliverables and plan review schedules
- Develops and manages effective processes and tools to enhance Water For People’s grant effectiveness, including but not limited to:
- Ensuring that assigned donor records are kept up-to-date and maintained in Raiser’s Edge, providing transparency to the Chief of Programs and Chief Financial Officer on which programs are fully funded or under-funded
- Disseminating key information to country, regional, and Denver staff regarding donor/grant requirements and expectations, and supports staff in building their capacity in grant management toward ensuring successful and compliant execution of grants
- In collaboration with Communications Department, manages external communications relevant to function, including developing communication plans with donors, managing and responding to donor-related external communication
- Ensures that Water For People’s external communications accurately capture and recognize the donors in personal grant portfolio
- Represents Water For People at external events, with an ability to describe our work to diverse audiences
Behaviors and Competencies
- Builds Teams and Talent – Open and approachable, able to extract excellent performance and develop leadership and confidence in others; attracts, engages, develops, and rewards talented people to build individual and organizational capability needed to achieve the desired impact
- Uses Critical Thinking – Has a broad perspective and sees possibilities and opportunities by thinking innovatively; manages competing priorities and makes hard decisions with an eye towards getting things done
- Converts Strategy into Results –Translates business vision and strategy into winning tactics and plans to deliver excellent results for the organization
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development; understands and demonstrates how own efforts impact the larger organization and operates in alignment with its vision, values, and strategic objectives
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Shows empathy, a high comfort level in low- and middle-income countries, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Connects with Others – Demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, exceptional networker, key influencer, and comfortable representing Water For People across a wide variety of audiences
- Action-oriented – Has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity
- Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence, and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role; handles tough questions or critique in a professional manner assuming the best intentions; open to feedback and coaching
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree is required or equivalent work experience; Master’s Degree in relevant field (international affairs, public health, environmental engineering) is preferred
- At least 7 years of experience in international development or relevant field, including 4 years managing complex grants
- Extensive familiarity with receiving/administering restricted funding
- Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) experience strongly preferred
- Experience working with remote teams
- Ability to multi-task and juggle several tasks and relationships at one time
- Excellent communication skills, experience in representing an organization
- Advanced computer proficiencies with Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Language Skills - oral and written proficiency in Spanish is highly desired
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to low- and middle-income countries 15% of the time where travel is rugged
- Open office environment
- This position is based at Water For People Headquarters in Denver, Colorado
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Contact and Further Information:
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with your resume and cover letter to this position. Please no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MST, Friday, November 8, 2019.
This is an exempt, full time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Perks of working at our office space which is located at I-25 and Broadway:
- Employer-paid parking
- Walking distance from I-25 and Broadway RTD station
- Food trucks outside the office daily
- Dog friendly workplace