Where does Water For People work?
Water For People currently works in 10 countries around the world: Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, and India. Our employees in-country know the culture, language, and communities we serve. However, based on special grants and funding, we have worked in more than 40 other countries over the years but have found that a targeted approach is more effective and efficient.
What makes Water for People unique from other water and sanitation organizations?
- Water For People works towards ‘full-coverage’
- This means, every family, every school, and every clinic receives access to safe water and sanitation.
- Capacity-building is critical to our work
- This means Water For People ensures that when something breaks, someone has the capacity to fix it.
- Water For People, along with local communities and governments must invest in their own water solutions. Everyone pays.
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Water For People guarantees 10 years of monitoring and evaluation to ensure sustainability.
- Market-based approaches
- Water For People works closely with the private sector (local businesses and entrepreneurs) to ensure ongoing service is provided. This helps to create jobs!
- Replication and scale
- Water For People will demonstrate a model that others can take on to create a global movement where everyone has access to water and sanitation!
- Focus on sustainability
- Water For People thinks about the long-term every step of the way. We want these communities to be independent of ongoing foreign aid for their water and solutions. Just like you and me, we want these communities to have reliable access to water and sanitation for generations!
- We believe that in order to truly solve the water crisis we must be accountable for our programs. Therefore we share all of our financials and investment numbers with the public through our reporting platform.
How does Water For People choose communities/projects to assist?
Water For People performs a special data collection and analysis survey of any new areas that it considers working in. This data collection process ensures that all factors are considered in working in a new area. At this time, there are no new countries being considered.
When new countries are considered, the first factor is a clear need for improved water supply and/or sanitation. A variety of factors are considered in choosing a country and region in which to work: community motivation, costs, the availability of a trustworthy NGO partner, the support of local government, and a safe environment. To ensure system sustainability, Water For People requires a commitment from the beneficiary community.
Water For People’s country coordinators carefully target specific regions (county-sized) within their countries where work will be focused. The goal is to bring 100% coverage in water and sanitation within each region, and then replicate this model in new regions.
Where can I find information on Water for People's impact?
Water For People works to reach every family, every school and every clinic in the areas where we work with reliable access to water. This means we work to reach every single person—the most vulnerable, hardest to reach and marginalized—Everyone, with safe drinking water and sanitation services that last not just today but for years, for generations, forever. Our Impact is measured over time by assessing the increase in access to water and sanitation and the likelihood that access can be sustained over-time. Please visit our reporting portal for more information and to see your impact.
I Need a Receipt. Can You Send Me One?
Absolutely. Please email email@example.com and we'll create one for you right away. (After every online donation, you should receive a receipt via email, but if there's any problem, feel free to email us.)
Water For People is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, ID #84-1166148. Gifts are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
How can I volunteer to work for Water For People?
The World Water Corps is one of Water For People’s volunteer programs that gives you the opportunity to travel abroad and support the organization in a tangible way. You can share your unique skills and experience in support of the development of sustainable water resources, improved sanitation facilities, and hygiene education programs.
Can I Restrict a Donation to a Country or Region?
Donations of $5,000 and above can be designated for a specific Water For People country program. In the donation form, please type country designation in the comments field. Contributions of $25,000 and above may be designated for a specific district after consultation with International Programs staff and based on the current list of projects in need of funding. All donations of less than $5,000 will be used where the need is greatest at the time of receipt.
How do I change or discontinue my recurring donation?
We can help. Fill out this form and let us know what changes you would like to make.
Have a question not answered above? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll respond as quickly as possible. Thank you!