Our STRATEGIC FOUNDATION: Sustainable Development Goal 6
In 2015, members of the United Nations adopted a plan of action to help create a better world. At the center of this plan are 17 Sustainable Development Goals, all dedicated to forming a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet. The global aim is to achieve these goals by 2030.
Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6 is to "ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all." In other words, water and sanitation for Everyone Forever.
Water For People's strategy is rooted in SDG 6, with an audacious plan to make this goal a reality for all.
For over a decade, Water For People's strategy has focused on working with local governments, communities, and partners to implement lasting water and sanitation access in nine countries. We've developed and proved an effective model, Everyone Forever, but there are millions more people to reach. We must move faster, and we must work bigger.
Destination 2030 is our response to this need to increase our impact radically. It's a collective effort, guided by partnerships and local, national, and global strategies that all aim to hasten progress toward achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 6 – clean water and sanitation for all by 2030.
Our Destination 2030 strategy includes:
- Co-founding the One For All global alliance alongside our partner IRC
- Developing a joint framework and goals to promote shared accountability
- Setting ambitious targets to strengthen water and sanitation systems that serve millions of people by working at the local, national, and global levels
- Sharing resources, learnings, and expertise with One For All alliance members and other partners
- Scaling the Everyone Forever model to more districts, countries, and regions.
Strategic Plan 2022-2024
In addition to the shared Destination 2030 Strategy with IRC, we developed our own Strategic Plan 2022-2024. It details the short-term strategy for Water For People to do our part in meeting the D30 impact targets we share with IRC, and to progress as an organization. It includes two strategic, overarching goals specific to our Purpose and our Foundation.