JOIN Water For People
Director of Individual Giving
Position Closes: Friday, November 15, 5 PM MST
Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees around the world help drive this solution.
About the Position
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Director of Individual Giving. The Director of Individual Giving is a creative, strategic, and passionate leader who directs the efforts of our front-line Relationship Managers. This team is at the core of Water For People’s success and our ability to make a significant impact in improving health and economic conditions in the countries we serve. The Director of Individual Giving will identify new strategies targeting individual donors, from one-time giving to high net worth giving, allowing us to make even more impact. This position allows for a high degree of freedom to drive new strategies and execute, in cooperation with the Chief Development Officer and with the support of highly qualified and ambitious teammates.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Works closely with the Chief Development Officer on developing, managing, and executing our overall business development strategy that grows our network and creates a sustainable business model for our programs
- Supports the Business Development activities of the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Development Officer, providing insight and counsel on targeted prospects
- Manages a select personal portfolio of high-capacity prospects/donors with the capacity to give at least $100,000
- Oversees strategies to retain and grow Water For People’s small ($1000 - $9,999), mid-capacity ($10,000 - $99,999), and high net worth ($100,000 +) individual donors using thorough prospect research, compelling solicitation opportunities, and thoughtful stewardship programs
- Closely manages the use of the Prospect Pipeline, ensuring that prospects are appropriately logged, and then tracked through the steps of being qualified, assigned, solicited, closed, and stewarded
- Develops strategies to grow Water For People’s Denver and Colorado-based family of supporters, with emphasis on high-capacity individuals
- Manages a team of Relationship Managers focused on identifying, qualifying, and securing first time, mid, and high-capacity donors/partners
- Establishes performance benchmarks, tracks progress, and conducts mid-year check-ins and annual performance appraisals with direct reports
- Assigns Relationship Management responsibilities as new donors are acquired and new prospects are identified
- As needed, represents Water For People at networking functions to expand awareness of Water For People’s mission
- Collaborates with other members of the Business Development and Marketing teams to encourage a culture of gratitude, ensuring that all Water For People supporters are thanked, acknowledged, engaged, and inspired
- Collaborates with Director of Marketing to identify and cultivate Unlikely Partners that have an economic/market interest in the results that we produce
- Plays a key role in creating and executing our private giving partnerships with a deep understanding of relationship management and retention/upgrade strategies
- Builds on the tremendous strengths of the existing team while nurturing talent, identifying opportunities for professional growth, and providing a work environment that both challenges and rewards
- Works closely with members of the Board of Directors, as well as all members of the Senior Management Team and their departments, including Programs, Business Development, Marketing & Communications, Finance, and the Executive Department, to achieve the strategic goals of Water For People
- Stays current on all major program initiatives and maintain close ties to colleagues in the field
- Oversees the creation and execution of our Peer to Peer program and strategy
- Oversees our Community Engagement efforts, which includes scaling our volunteer strategy and fundraising events
- Broadens and deepens the "voice" of Water For People globally – with the philosophy that Water For People is an organization of extraordinary people whose voice needs to be heard loud and clear as a global leader in the development of sustainable water and sanitation services.
- Builds alignment and consensus within the team around organizational goals
- Demonstrates leadership in cross-functional collaboration across the organization
- Sets individual contributor and team goals, and conducts performance reviews for team members and supports employee development
Behaviors and Competencies
- Builds Teams and Talent – Open and approachable, able to extract excellent performance and develop leadership and confidence in others. Attracts, engages, develops, and rewards talented people to build individual and organizational capability needed to achieve the desired impact.
- Uses Critical Thinking – Has a broad perspective and sees possibilities and opportunities by thinking innovatively. Manages competing priorities and makes hard decisions with an eye towards getting things done.
- Converts Strategy into Results –Translates business vision and strategy into winning tactics and plans to deliver excellent results for the organization.
- Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays in leading social impact in international development. Understands and demonstrates how one's own efforts impact the larger organization and operates in alignment with its vision, values, and strategic objectives.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization. Consistently follows through on commitments and lives our values of accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership, and transparency.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Identifies, supports, and champions opportunities for change and continuous improvement. Trusts the judgment of the field staff.
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – shows empathy, a high comfort level in low- and middle-income countries, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Action-oriented – Takes an entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to completing tasks. Has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products.
- Connects with Others – Demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, exceptional networker, key influencer, and comfortable representing Water For People across a wide variety of audiences.
- Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence, and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role. Is unafraid and willing to take risks and courageously to find new ways to achieve the organization’s desired impact.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, and/or nonprofit management or other related discipline, or equivalent experience is required
- 8 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in business development/fundraising/partnerships
- Proven track record of successfully identifying prospects, developing engagement strategies, and closing gifts above $100K
- Demonstrated success in aligning organizational financial targets with funding opportunities
- Experience building and managing a donor portfolio that includes high-capacity individual, corporate, foundation, and organizational supporters
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and nurture a team of high-performing business development professionals
- Highly accountable with the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, collaborative team culture
- Analytical with strong conceptual skills coupled with an excellent communications acumen
- Thinks conceptually with the ability to approach problems from a holistic perspective; sees connections, linkages, and interdependencies
- Must have well-developed written, oral, interpersonal, presentation and negotiation communication skills, with a high level of sensitivity for propriety and confidentiality
- Demonstrated performance in organizations where candidate has successfully developed and operationalized strategies for fundraising
- Experience in the field and familiarity with international development is a plus
- Spanish language skills are preferred
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Ability to travel 10-15% domestically and internationally to low- and middle-income countries, where travel is rugged
- Open office environment
- This is a full-time position based at Water For People Headquarters in Denver, Colorado
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Contact and Further Information:
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with your resume and cover letter to this position. Please no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MST, Friday, November 15, 2019.
This is an exempt, full time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Perks of working at our office space which is located at I-25 and Broadway:
- Employer-paid parking
- Walking distance from I-25 and Broadway RTD station
- Food trucks outside the office daily
- Dog-friendly workplace